Susan Collis Since I fell for you



Work on it 2002
New wooden table, adhesive vinyl.

Oak stepladder, diamond, topaz, picture agate, white opal,
Brazilian opal, fossil coral, freshwater pearl, cultured pearl,
white motherof pearl, gold mother of pearl, white howlite.

Wooden broom, opals, turquioise, garnets, seed pearls,
mother of pearl, black diamonds, fresh water pearls,
coral,black onyx, maracite

Linen, embroidery thread

Sonokelling rosewood, carved lapis lazuli, silver,
 bronze, smoky quartz, black diamonds


18 carat white gold (hallmarked), white sapphire, turquoise, onyx 




Although I will not be working with furniture directly with furniture, my inspiration for the shapes will come from furniture.  Such as the rounded top of a chair, the right angles and smooth edges of where a leg of a table connects to the top etc...
Susan Collis is one my my favourite artist that I have found this year, I think her work is so beautiful.  I thing I find most fascinating is how much time and effort is spent on the pieces even though this is not obvious.  I want to achieve the same quality finish for my final piece, doing intricate weaving on the creases of the leather.  Small patches where I have worked hard to develop the surface, in places where it is not obvious to the viewer making them have to look harder and closer at my work.