Brit Insurance Designs of the Year @ The Design Museum and my New Idea!

I went to the design museum to see if I could get any inspiration for processes and form, and also thought it would be interesting to see other areas of design.  Here are some of my favourite pieces....


Amplify Chandelier by Yves Behar for Swarovski

Inside each paper faceted shade there is one LED light shining though one crystal making the pattern and colour hit the paper giving the illusion of big crystals.





Lanvin S/S 2010

I like the mix of metal and leather like in the sculptures by Cathy de Monchaux.






Giles S/S 2010.  
I was interested in the leathery scales which looked quite complicated from far away but up close quite easy to make.




After visiting the design museum I wanted to be more innovative about my idea and I how I think the design should be practical as well as beautiful.  So looking back to my idea of having 'Transferable' jewellery from furniture to the body seemed somewhat pointless and very unusable, not a clever idea!  Also  having to look at the 2 aspects separately can get overwhelming and not focused.  So I came up with the idea if combining the body with your furniture.  Jewellery that extends from the body to your home.  So when the person is using or interacting with the item such as a chair or table then they become joined together with it like they are wearing it and it is wearing them.  

Designing for a chair or chair design is quite a broad aspect.  I think chairs are  very important in out lives and are always in need by everyone everywhere.  They take so many forms and shapes which are constantly being redesigned by contemporary designers, a chair will never go out of fashion.  So I think  this idea has a lot of scope to it as there is a need.  When people sit on chairs there is a lot of contact made so I think this would be the best item of household furniture to use for my design.  I still would like to keep the one off crafted image for my piece, an intricately made item.


I am interested in looking at ways of attaching the piece to the body and the chair, using ties or clasps or moulding so that everything can slip or clip into place.   


Photograph by Yulia Gorodinski, which I feel represents my revised idea.