Cathy De Monchaux


After a talk with my tutor she suggested that I look at the sculptor Cathy De Monchaux, in particular the work from her exhibition at The Whitechapel Gallery in 1997, because of her use with leather.

I found her Plates the most interesting and intriguing, I like how she has used and manipulated the leather in a way that it is almost unrecognisable.  The scrunched up and puckered leather in contrast with the hard angular metal makes a really interesting unnatural looking effect.


' Strips, lumps and bumps of even the most ornately-embellished calfskin settle into harmonious arrangements of horizontal or verticality...'  

Dangerous Fragility Close up- The scrunched up leather gives and amazing texture that I would inspire me to explore with the idea for my project.

Although these are sculptures I think they have a definite body adornment / jewellery quality about them.  The intricate craftsmanship that she has put into them and the choice of materials finished off with fine details is something I admire and strive towards for my work.