My own collages

From looking collages in books and the exhibition I decided to experiment with my own pieces.
The photographs came from a stall in Depford market, where there were boxes and boxes full of old family photo albums, postcards, documents, letters ect..... I have also used some from my own family collection.

I think the leather works well and complements these photographs because of the natural earthy browns and tan colours,leather is tough old skin contrasting with the fragility of the images.


In this photograph I really like the form of the girls' gathered swimsuit and
wanted to highlight it by replicating the shape with a nice pale soft leather. 




I poured hot wax onto the leather to resist the
dye, then repeated to create different tones 

recembling the shapes in the cave on
in the photo.


The same technique used again to highlight the
beautiful discolouration on the original photo. 


I like the contrast of leather textures of the smooth taught ball the boy
is holding to the fibrous textured sample of leather.


 I spoke to my tutor about the ideas of using collages as a means of designing and exploring the places that would be interesting to design on.  I like the way it makes sense and links up random materials or images into a meaningful way creating connections that would never have been thought about.  This is particularly appropriate to my project as I am trying to combine and associate the solid shapes and forms of furniture/interiors to the fluid contours of the body.

For this project I want my collages to be a big part of the designing/ development process as it will allow me to explore interesting ideas, different forms and shapes.  Inspired highly by what I saw by John Stezaker.