Hussein Chalayan presents his work as 'wearable architecture' it is interesting how he has blurred the boundaries between the traditional function of clothes and furniture,  this applies to my project at the moment as I wish to strive for the same effect and purpose for my outcome.
He has broken down the barriers between art, architecture and fashion, in doing so he has introduced a new concept of fashion and wearable pieces.  His work is very versatile standing alone as pieces in different categories like furniture and fashion I like this limitless way of thinking and working.


Geotropics s/s 99

For the collection Geotropics he integrated 
a chair into the garment so it appeared the 
model and the chair were as one but the model
 could sit down whenever she wanted.



Although I feel like I have come far with my project, it is starting to slow down.  I'm not thinking and not having as many ideas as I should be having when I feel like I'm on the right track with it.
The idea of getting a broken wooden chair and then researching methods of attaching, whilst looking for a suitable for for which would be appropriate is very daunting and not very inspiring to me.   I really  like the work I have done with the weaving and braiding samples and the test shoulder piece which look like they have been cast from a banister.  So thinking about all these ideas I think it would be suitable to make just a wearable piece.  Using the inspiration of shape and form from items and furniture around the house, so it almost looks like your wearing parts of it.  Cutting out the confusion of working with two elements ; the body and the chair, just sticking to the body.  I think this will make more impact in the final show because if the pieces are hanging on the wall they will looks almost like abstract sculptural hall hangings but are also wearable.


The next step to get a head start on this idea would be to make moulds of body parts to start wrapping the soaked vegetable tanned leather around so that it could take on the shape.  I think it would be interesting to cast body parts in plaster like an arm, knee or calf, with this method all the details of the body will be included like the skin surface and little bumps and nooks of bones.  Keeping the location quite unusual to get some interesting shapes.