Mould Making...

After researching on how to make plaster casts of the body it appeared like it would be a big waste of time and money.  I would have to buy two types of plaster, one to mould the part and one to pour onto the cast.  It would also take a very long time to dry and the person/ I would have to sit for a very long time in the plaster.  After it was done I don't know how I would secure the wet vegetable tanned leather around it well enough to let it dry and take on the shape.  So to solve this problem I decided to make wooden moulds of some parts, like my arm.  This way I can hammer nails into the mould which I can use over and over again.  Rather like a last for shoe making.   The wood was free because I found it in the scrap bin in the 3D workshop.





I made this arm mould by drawing on the silhouette of my arm on each side and cut it with a band saw making the rough shape.  I was then going to sand down the corners to make it like a life like rounded arm but I thought I would do that later after doing some test pieces with this interesting shape.





This is a rough model of a shoulder, I couldn't find a big enough piece of wood so I glued a few together then cut the shape and then sanded the corners to make a rounded finish.   Even though there is a ridge this wouldn't matter because the leather it too thick still to be that impressionable.

I am really pleased with my moulds as they were very easy and enjoyable to do,  further down the project it will be just as easy to make more moulds of other body parts.