My initial thoughts on day 1 of final major project

'jewellery for furniture"  - multi purpose, transferring from person to  house

I thought of this idea from looking at this amazing piece in a magazine I found, where the designer makes jewellery for walls, this is the only image I  have of this designer and can't find anything about her online....
Dore Marianne - Steuer, she looks at ideas of decay and decadance, mould and magnificence...
Making an ugly hole in the wall beautiful.



I found my talk with the Brighton lecturer very useful.  She was concerned that my project was too vague and too many elements and themes that I wanted to explore in my project. She said I needed to know exactly what I wanted to look at.  At the moment from my proposal I wrote that I wanted to look at leather, crystals, exploring usual/ alternate areas to decorate the body and using men to showcase my designs.

After this I decided to rethink the project proposal and making more definite themes.  I still want to stick using leather and exploring it as a material and how it works but we then talked about many themes.  I also wanted the final outcome to be a kind of jewellery/ sculptural piece.   I was quite confused when writing the project proposal because I wasn't sure how to word the ideas in my head, she helped me to realise these in the talk.

Some of the ideas we thought about was the idea of 'jewellery for architecture' worn by the 'home' and the body, looking at furniture, and interiors for inspiration, rather like how decorations on a Christmas tree is like jewellery for nature.  Then the idea of using and decorating existing items like acorns, leaves and tree trunks ect... I didn't like this idea as it was going too far off the original.

We then came back to the theme which I really like and got me thinking; 'Transferable Jewellery'- Transferring jewellery from person to house.  Worn by the home and the body.  Referencing back to the artist  that created jewellery for holes in walls, Dore Marianne, I like the idea of beautifying a piece of furniture so the final sculptural outcome has multi usage.

Thinking about location is also important; where the pieces will be attached to on the furniture eg. chair, table and making it have some collation to the location of the body eg. shoulder (chair) or leg (table).

This talk leaded me to the conclusion and summary of my project;
Multi-purpose/ Transferable Jewellery' for the home interior and body. Main material: Leather