Screen print workshop....


From looking at the Proenza Shouler collection, I decided to test methods of quickly creating pattern and texture to the surface of the leather.

During this enjoyable workshop I used photocopies of my favourite samples of weaving.  I liked how the scanner picked up the texture of the leather that had been woven through.  Interesting idea of texture on texture.  To exploit this I blew up the picture and had it made into a screen.









Practising at first with with paper and plain white cotton and light polyester fabric I thought they made quite nice samples on their own.  I then moved onto screen printing onto actual leather, and to my amazement it worked quite effectively, giving a clear image. 
.I explored with marbling browny tones on the leather so that the screen printing was not so obvious to add subtle detail. 

I then moved onto using the special die which poofs up when heated.  This produced some very interesting effect on the leather.  

One of my favourite samples was when I used a black ink on the leather and then when heated turned into multiple colours rather like the colour of oil on the road.  If I had time I would explore this idea further.

Even thought the print looked affective on this scale I don't think it would be possible, with the facilities  in the workshop to make smaller detailed screens which I could use on my jewellery pieces.